Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A great stir about voting...

My dad always said to me to consider someone else I might not like by "putting myself in their shoes."  Dad was using a saying of Jesus on his Sermon on the Mount  found in the Gospel of Matthew. Matthew's version of the phrase can be found in Matthew 5:41 which states that "If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles." NIV

My dad, from this saying, however evolved from Jesus above, was trying to have me begin to understand that if you walked in someone else's shoes you might not so easily judge, or condemn. I don't always live with this philosophy but I try to see someone else different from me as a unique human being, and if I don't, then I should, I don't want to condemn anyone for being different than me.

I voted early this morning and fucked up my ballot.  So the stupid ballot counter started beeping and as I couldn't exit the building, the door was stuck fast, the oldsters (see I'm judging, sorry!), the people who run the polling stations, got me to come back and vote, yep, sure enough I didn't listen and fucked up the ballot pretty good.  Oh joy.